Forum
    • Categories
    • Register
    • Login

    The gap between finishing a plugin and running a plugin business

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved General Questions
    licensingactivationsell pluginsverification
    23 Posts 4 Posters 385 Views
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • soundsyncS
      soundsync
      last edited by soundsync

      Hey Gang,

      This is something I’ve been thinking about a lot lately.

      Finishing the instrument is only one part of releasing a plugin.

      A lot of us can get the actual product built in HISE like the UI, samples, scripting, presets, installer, export.

      That part is hard, but it is also the part most of us signed up for.

      The harder surprise is everything that comes after.

      Once you want to actually sell it, you suddenly need a whole second system around the plugin:

      • a product page
      • checkout
      • license delivery
      • customer accounts
      • download access
      • license resets
      • device limits
      • refunds and revoked access
      • update delivery
      • support emails
      • “I bought this but lost the download link”
      • “I got a new computer, can you reset my activation?”
      • “My license is not showing up”
      • “Where do I log in?”

      None of that is really the instrument. But if you don’t have it, the release starts to feel unfinished.

      That is the gap I’ve been trying to solve with Soundsync.

      The idea is to give audio developers the business layer around the product like storefront, customer library, license/activation handling, download access, and the basic post-purchase flow that customers expect.

      For HISE specifically, my goal is that the instrument itself should not become a mess of store logic, customer account logic, and manual support work. The plugin should mostly care about whether the customer has access. The rest should live in a system built for selling and managing audio products.

      I don’t think every developer wants to build a mini Shopify, license server, download portal, and support dashboard just to release a plugin.

      This is the bigger problem Soundsync is aimed at, not just licensing, but helping developers get from “I finished the plugin” to “I can actually sell and support this properly.”

      Curious how other HISE developers are handling this right now. Are you using Gumroad, Shopify, custom scripts, manual serials, your own backend, or something else?

      Best,

      Aaron
      https://soundsync.dev
      https://moonwavefx.com

      dannytaurusD 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 2
      • dannytaurusD
        dannytaurus @soundsync
        last edited by dannytaurus

        @soundsync I'm on Gumroad at the moment but looking to switch to a better platform very soon.

        Just for reference, here's your list noted for my current Gumroad setup:

        • a product page ✅ Gumroad
        • checkout ✅ Gumroad
        • customer accounts ✅ Gumroad, via Library
        • download access ✅ Gumroad
        • refunds and revoked access ✅ Gumroad
        • update delivery ✅ Gumroad
        • support emails ✅ Gumroad, if the customer emails them first
        • “I bought this but lost the download link” ✅ Gumroad's Resend Receipt action
        • “Where do I log in?” ✅ Gumroad Library
        • license delivery I don't do licences currently
        • license resets I don't do licences currently
        • device limits I don't do licences currently
        • “I got a new computer, can you reset my activation?” I don't do licences currently
        • “My license is not showing up” I don't do licences currently

        I'm not saying Gumroad is perfect, but if you don't do licences for plugins, then it's a very easy place to get started. Testing the waters to find out if you can find/reach an audience is easy on Gumroad.

        Gumroad's real fee runs to about 16% of my revenue, which is higher than pretty much anywhere else I've looked at. But that does include unlimited email marketing, which most other platforms don't.

        I'm in the process of doing comparisons with my last 12 months real revenue data between Gumroad, Moonbase, Soundsync, Fungies, Polar and direct Stripe MoR payments.

        HISE dev latest / herdr + Claude Code / Figma + Affinity
        Meat Beats: https://meatbeats.com
        Klippr Video: https://klippr.video

        soundsyncS C 2 Replies Last reply Reply Quote 2
        • soundsyncS
          soundsync @dannytaurus
          last edited by

          @dannytaurus Including the email marketing is a pretty smooth move. Does the % fluctuate at all based on usage, number of contacts, emails sent, etc.? Or a minimum monthly in sales?

          I've seen Gumroad around but never used it. I went straight from the wacky world of Wordpress to developing and using Soundsync.

          Is your reason for no licenses just less user friction?

          I'd love to see the comparison in price! That's the type of thing that tickles my pickle.

          Best,

          Aaron
          https://soundsync.dev
          https://moonwavefx.com

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • C
            cartemtune @dannytaurus
            last edited by

            @dannytaurus which platform are you considering? Asking because I also used to be on Gumroad and have now switched to Payhip since their ridiculous price increase. Payhip is only 5% per sale and I'm also able to cap it at $99/month. I also just can't stand behind a company who relies on AI support agent, I coudl never get any real humans to answer my questions at Gumroad

            soundsyncS 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
            • soundsyncS
              soundsync @cartemtune
              last edited by

              @cartemtune Does it prevent you from using the platform once the cap is reached?

              Best,

              Aaron
              https://soundsync.dev
              https://moonwavefx.com

              dannytaurusD 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • dannytaurusD
                dannytaurus @soundsync
                last edited by dannytaurus

                @soundsync On the $99/mo plan there are no Payhip fees, you just pay Stripe/PayPal fees.

                CleanShot 2026-09-30 at 08.38.13@2x.png

                HISE dev latest / herdr + Claude Code / Figma + Affinity
                Meat Beats: https://meatbeats.com
                Klippr Video: https://klippr.video

                soundsyncS 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • soundsyncS
                  soundsync @dannytaurus
                  last edited by

                  @dannytaurus ahhh I see now, I misunderstood the statement.

                  Best,

                  Aaron
                  https://soundsync.dev
                  https://moonwavefx.com

                  dannytaurusD 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • dannytaurusD
                    dannytaurus @soundsync
                    last edited by

                    @soundsync Yeah, me too 😜 That's why I looked into it.

                    I've added Payhip to my comparison list (which I will post soon!). They're very competitive on price, especially at volume, but the 'reseller' terms are unclear to me (and Claude).

                    I've written to them so get some insight, so I know where to place them on my list.

                    HISE dev latest / herdr + Claude Code / Figma + Affinity
                    Meat Beats: https://meatbeats.com
                    Klippr Video: https://klippr.video

                    soundsyncS C 2 Replies Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • soundsyncS
                      soundsync @dannytaurus
                      last edited by

                      @dannytaurus What do you mean by reseller terms?

                      Best,

                      Aaron
                      https://soundsync.dev
                      https://moonwavefx.com

                      dannytaurusD 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • dannytaurusD
                        dannytaurus @soundsync
                        last edited by dannytaurus

                        @soundsync Payhip isn't a Merchant of Record, they are a reseller, which is similar in some ways but payouts differ quite a bit.

                        As far as I can gather (UK/EU buyers only, US/CA is still unclear):

                        Same as MoR:

                        1. Payhip buys a licence from the seller
                        2. Payhip sells the licence to the buyer, adding VAT where necessary

                        Different to MoR:

                        1. The revenue, inc. VAT, goes straight to the seller's Stripe/PayPal account
                        2. Payhip then takes the VAT from the seller's Stripe/PayPal account and remits it quarterly
                        3. For payment and contract purposes, the seller remains responsible for refunds, chargebacks, etc.
                        4. Payhip never holds seller funds, so it cannot 'freeze' them nor charge for them to be paid out

                        For US/CA buyers Payhip are a 'facilitator', not 'reseller', so the situation might be different.

                        Also unclear when a seller refunds a buyer, whether Payhip returns the VAT they collected, or whether the seller has to eat it.

                        For buyers outside UK/EU and US/CA, Payhip isn't involved in sales tax at all. The seller can set up custom tax rules, in which case Payhip charges the tax at checkout and leaves it in the seller's Stripe/PayPal account. Registering in the country and filing the tax are the seller's job, where the country requires it. That part is a bit scary.

                        HISE dev latest / herdr + Claude Code / Figma + Affinity
                        Meat Beats: https://meatbeats.com
                        Klippr Video: https://klippr.video

                        David HealeyD C soundsyncS 3 Replies Last reply Reply Quote 1
                        • David HealeyD
                          David Healey @dannytaurus
                          last edited by

                          @dannytaurus said in The gap between finishing a plugin and running a plugin business:

                          That part is a bit scary.

                          That's a big no from me. Since switching to an MoR there's no way I'd go back.

                          Free HISE Bootcamp Full Course for beginners.
                          YouTube Channel - HISE tutorials
                          My Patreon - More HISE tutorials

                          dannytaurusD 2 Replies Last reply Reply Quote 2
                          • dannytaurusD
                            dannytaurus @David Healey
                            last edited by

                            @David-Healey Same here 👍

                            HISE dev latest / herdr + Claude Code / Figma + Affinity
                            Meat Beats: https://meatbeats.com
                            Klippr Video: https://klippr.video

                            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                            • dannytaurusD
                              dannytaurus @David Healey
                              last edited by

                              @David-Healey Are you on Moonbase now?

                              HISE dev latest / herdr + Claude Code / Figma + Affinity
                              Meat Beats: https://meatbeats.com
                              Klippr Video: https://klippr.video

                              David HealeyD 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                              • David HealeyD
                                David Healey @dannytaurus
                                last edited by

                                @dannytaurus Yes, have been since June, very happy with it.

                                Free HISE Bootcamp Full Course for beginners.
                                YouTube Channel - HISE tutorials
                                My Patreon - More HISE tutorials

                                dannytaurusD 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                                • C
                                  cartemtune @dannytaurus
                                  last edited by

                                  @dannytaurus i'd love to see the comparison list please! :)

                                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                                  • C
                                    cartemtune @dannytaurus
                                    last edited by

                                    @dannytaurus wow thanks for this detailed breakdown. So I guess there are some pros and cons here. I've personally blocked countries outside of US, CA, UK, and EU so I won't have to deal with sales taxes there 😁 but maybe I should also consider other countries in case they can provide substantial revenue.

                                    Just curious, can any experienced sellers let me know whether it's worth opening up my store to the rest of the world? In my experience, most of my customers seem to come from US, CA, UK, and EU so I never felt like I'm missing out. I'd love to know before I decide to switch again because...it's a lot of work!

                                    But the part about Payhip offering instant payouts (i.e. never holding funds) is another reason why I moved away from Gumroad. I feel better knowing that a platform can't suddenly take my money away . Gumroad has a minimum payout threshold of $100 (I assume because the platform needs to safeguard itself from refunds and chargebacks), but that part kinda sucks

                                    David HealeyD dannytaurusD 2 Replies Last reply Reply Quote 0
                                    • David HealeyD
                                      David Healey @cartemtune
                                      last edited by David Healey

                                      @cartemtune said in The gap between finishing a plugin and running a plugin business:

                                      I've personally blocked countries outside of US, CA, UK, and EU

                                      Those are pretty much the only ones that you have to deal with sales tax in anyway.

                                      @cartemtune said in The gap between finishing a plugin and running a plugin business:

                                      let me know whether it's worth opening up my store to the rest of the world?

                                      Might as well since you're already doing the hard work. I get quite a few customers from Japan, New Zealand, Australia, not so much from the rest of the world.

                                      Free HISE Bootcamp Full Course for beginners.
                                      YouTube Channel - HISE tutorials
                                      My Patreon - More HISE tutorials

                                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                                      • dannytaurusD
                                        dannytaurus @cartemtune
                                        last edited by dannytaurus

                                        @cartemtune I'd prefer direct payment too, but I rate using a Merchant Of Record over direct payouts, and MoR never pay direct.

                                        At least Gumroad doesn't charge a fee for a payout. Moonbase does, and they're the only ones. €5 per payout. Feels a bit like nickel-and-diming. Their whole fee structure is death by a thousand cuts 😂 Takes them from looks very competitive to being the most expensive, behind only Gumroad.

                                        HISE dev latest / herdr + Claude Code / Figma + Affinity
                                        Meat Beats: https://meatbeats.com
                                        Klippr Video: https://klippr.video

                                        David HealeyD 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                                        • David HealeyD
                                          David Healey @dannytaurus
                                          last edited by

                                          @dannytaurus said in The gap between finishing a plugin and running a plugin business:

                                          €5 per payout.

                                          I go for monthly payouts to minimize it

                                          Free HISE Bootcamp Full Course for beginners.
                                          YouTube Channel - HISE tutorials
                                          My Patreon - More HISE tutorials

                                          dannytaurusD 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                                          • dannytaurusD
                                            dannytaurus @David Healey
                                            last edited by dannytaurus

                                            @David-Healey It's not really the amount/percentage, it's the principle. They use Wise, which has no associated fee. So it's just pure markup.

                                            HISE dev latest / herdr + Claude Code / Figma + Affinity
                                            Meat Beats: https://meatbeats.com
                                            Klippr Video: https://klippr.video

                                            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                                            • First post
                                              Last post

                                            14

                                            Online

                                            3.0k

                                            Users

                                            14.0k

                                            Topics

                                            121.6k

                                            Posts