Compiling HISE 2.1.0 "No such file or directory"

• @Inveracity said in Compiling HISE 2.1.0 "No such file or directory":

c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio\2017\community\vc\tools\msvc\14.16.27023\bin\hostx64\x64\cl.exe : warning C4335: Mac file format detected: please convert the source file to either DOS or UNIX format

maybe this (your first warning):

c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio\2017\community\vc\tools\msvc\14.16.27023\bin\hostx64\x64\cl.exe : warning C4335: Mac file format detected: please convert the source file to either DOS or UNIX format

• Thanks Lindon, unfortunately it doesn't say which files need to be converted and when I open random files with Sublime or VSCode they all say that the files have Windows line endings and utf-8 encoding - so I have no idea what it is I'm supposed to convert

• Been digging a little more (and also learning a lot more)
    I found the batchCompile.bat script and changed

-set vs_args=/p:Configuration="Release" /verbosity:minimal
    +set vs_args=/p:Configuration="Release" /verbosity:normal

and saw this in the output

"H:\HISE_Projects\Drum_Kit_One\Binaries\Builds\VisualStudio2017\Drum_Kit_One.sln" (default target) (1) ->
    "H:\HISE_Projects\Drum_Kit_One\Binaries\Builds\VisualStudio2017\Drum_Kit_One_VST3.vcxproj.metaproj" (default target) (2) ->
    "H:\HISE_Projects\Drum_Kit_One\Binaries\Builds\VisualStudio2017\Drum_Kit_One_SharedCode.vcxproj" (default target) (3) ->
    (ClCompile target) -> 
      c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio\2017\community\vc\tools\msvc\14.16.27023\bin\hostx64\x64\cl.exe(1): error C3872: '0x90': this character is not allowed in an identifier [H:\HISE_Projects\Drum_Kit_One\Binaries\Builds\VisualStudio2017\Drum_Kit_One_SharedCode.vcxproj]
      c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio\2017\community\vc\tools\msvc\14.16.27023\bin\hostx64\x64\cl.exe(1): error C2018: unknown character '0x3' [H:\HISE_Projects\Drum_Kit_One\Binaries\Builds\VisualStudio2017\Drum_Kit_One_SharedCode.vcxproj]
      c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio\2017\community\vc\tools\msvc\14.16.27023\bin\hostx64\x64\cl.exe(1): error C2018: unknown character '0x4' [H:\HISE_Projects\Drum_Kit_One\Binaries\Builds\VisualStudio2017\Drum_Kit_One_SharedCode.vcxproj]
    ... and so on ...

So are these generated files causing the issue?
    because when I open them up they seem to be fine, windows line-endings and no strange characters as far as I can tell

• Are you using a 32bit version of Visual Studio?

• Thanks for the help so far, I really appreciate it

It looks like Visual Studio is 32bit and when I search for a 64bit version all I find is Microsoft forum posts of people asking for a 64bit versions - so it looks like there are no 64bit versions of Visual Studio

I also tried a few different cl.exe's from different paths, but all of them give the same errors. I can only speculate that the ones in the x64 folders are 64bit version of cl.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\BuildTools\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.16.27023\bin\Hostx64\x64\cl.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\BuildTools\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.16.27023\bin\Hostx64\x64\cl.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.16.27023\bin\Hostx64\x64\cl.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\BuildTools\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.16.27023\bin\Hostx86\x86\cl.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\BuildTools\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.16.27023\bin\Hostx86\x86\cl.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.16.27023\bin\Hostx86\x86\cl.exe

I'm searching google, but I can't seem to find anything that relates to this, or I'm not using the right terms.

Got any other thoughts or ideas?

• I'm really not sure what's causing the issue. I'm also not sure what cl.exe has to do with it.

• I have no idea either.

I guess that's it then

Thanks for helping either way 👍

• If you want to get in a call with screenshare and try and figure out the problem together I have an hour free tomorrow afternoon (UK time).

• That's extremely kind of you to offer! 🙏

I think before I take your time from you I'll try completely resetting.

I'll uninstall everything and redownload everything from scratch and try and document my steps as I go

I must have done something wrong along the way the first time around

• I solved the problem! 🎊

Essentially I had an old installation of the Build Tools present on my system, so when I installed Visual Studio 2017 I then had a duplicate build environment that was lacking the correct windows SDK (because I had been a dummy and installed the windows sdk into the build tools instead of vs2017).

So I uninstalled the Build Tools via the Visual Studio Installer leaving only VS2017 installed.

After that I removed the CL= environment variable entirely from my system and added

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.16.27023\bin\Hostx64\x64

to the PATH environment variable so that cl.exe could be executed from anywhere.

From here on it was following the video guide basically.

I added the Windows 10 SDK (10.0.16299.0) by modifying the VS2017 installation in the Visual Studio Installer.

Then I opened the HISE standalone project in projucer and built the HISE.exe as per the video instructions - this time no warnings of mac files detected!

And finally I ran HISE, added a sampler and an empty UI, exported it as VST3 64bit and success! 🎉

Now I can go back to actually making my instrument 😂

Users

Topics