Forum
    • Categories
    • Register
    • Login

    Payment providers compared

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved General Questions
    16 Posts 7 Posters 683 Views
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • dannytaurusD
      dannytaurus @David Healey
      last edited by

      @David-Healey said in Payment providers compared:

      By switching to Moonbase I massively reduced my costs elsewhere.
      I no longer pay for hosting/data transfer costs, this means I'm able to have a cheaper VPS for my website, this was about a £30/month saving.

      I was also paying annual fees for several wordpress plugins:

      WooCommerce tax calculations
      Software licensing
      Amazon S3/Bunny
      A plugin that sends WooCommerce data to my accounting software
      Currency conversion plugin
      There's probably a few others I'm forgetting.
      I also don't have the quarterly headache of dealing with VATMoss.

      All of that is included in Gumroad's fee, and unlimited email marketing too (not a usage-based extra charge).

      In fact, given that Moonbase's email marketing is extra, they might now be more expensive than Gumroad for me.

      But I still think it's time for me to move on from the Gumroad storefront.

      HISE dev latest / herdr + Claude Code / Figma + Affinity
      Meat Beats: https://meatbeats.com
      Klippr Video: https://klippr.video

      David HealeyD 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • David HealeyD
        David Healey @dannytaurus
        last edited by David Healey

        @dannytaurus said in Payment providers compared:

        All of that is included in Gumroad's fee, and unlimited email marketing too (not a usage-based extra charge).

        Does gumroad give you a proper shopping cart that you can embed on your website? Last time I used it it was just buy now buttons.

        Another thing I like about Moonbase is the cart offers feature. I can set it up so if the customer adds £x to their cart they will get a %n discount and this is displayed in the cart like a progress bar which encourages customers to spend a little more to get to the next goal.

        Does Gumroad have an affiliate system? That's another thing I'm no longer paying separately for with Moonbase.

        Free HISE Bootcamp Full Course for beginners.
        YouTube Channel - HISE tutorials
        My Patreon - More HISE tutorials

        dannytaurusD 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
        • dannytaurusD
          dannytaurus @David Healey
          last edited by dannytaurus

          @David-Healey said in Payment providers compared:

          Does gumroad give you a proper shopping cart that you can embed on your website? Last time I used it it was just buy now buttons.

          It's just Buy Now buttons, which I don't use. I have the product pages on my own site link to the product page on Gumroad, where they do the actual cart and checkout. This is the main reason I want to move.

          Another thing I like about Moonbase is the cart offers feature.

          Gumroad doesn't have that exact 'process bar' feature (which sounds cool), but it does have per-product upsells and 'Customers who bought this item also bought', both of which bring in decent extra revenue for me.

          Does Gumroad have an affiliate system?

          Yes, and it's a good implementation. You can set per-affiliate and per-product rates, you get an affiliate dashboard to see who's earning what. Again, it's all included in the fee. No nickel-and-diming there. Also, most importantly, Gumroad pays out to affiliates directly, so there's never a trust issue or payment complications.

          Gumroad also has a Collaborator feature, which allows you to set up a collab with someone, set a percentage split, and they get paid directly too (after fees, which is fair). I've got a couple of good collabs lined up, so I'll be needing a feature like that, wherever I move.

          On Moonbase you can set up collaborators using the affiliate feature, with "all sales of a specific product" - which I read as "no referral link or ID required". But remember, the affiliate system, including collaborators, incurs an extra 3% fee. At least the collaborator doesn't have to pay the €5 per-payout fee - that's included in the 3%. Not sure if the 3% affiliate/collaborator fee is included in the 'after fees' - if it is, you both share the 3% fee, if not, you eat the whole 3%.

          HISE dev latest / herdr + Claude Code / Figma + Affinity
          Meat Beats: https://meatbeats.com
          Klippr Video: https://klippr.video

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 2
          • dannytaurusD
            dannytaurus @David Healey
            last edited by

            @David-Healey

            Would it be possible to use our own SES subscription with Moonbase's mailer?

            That would be very cool, and reduce the cost considerably.

            HISE dev latest / herdr + Claude Code / Figma + Affinity
            Meat Beats: https://meatbeats.com
            Klippr Video: https://klippr.video

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • iamlampreyI
              iamlamprey
              last edited by

              Just throwing my 2c in - I've just moved from Payhip to a more dedicated stack (Github Pages + Cloudflare for frontend, Polar as MoR / processor).

              I've had a positive experience so far, very easy to setup and the API lets me run sales by just pushing an update to a config.json file - the Github actions & Cloudflare workers take it from there. They use Stripe for payment processing so it's pretty straightforward.

              Payhip was a great alternative to Gumroad, but over time I found their load speeds were getting slower and slower. I'm not sure what the reason is, but I had page loads of up to 20 seconds (simple home pages, it wasn't a content issue). This included checkout and was likely inflating bounce rates like crazy. They also have limited metrics / analytics, and my entire site was basically HTML injected so I didn't need the page editor / designer tools.

              Now everything is hosted on Cloudflare and I get sub 1s page loads, the Polar checkout is just an iframe.

              When it comes to Trustpilot reviews - be aware that a lot of people try and use Polar, Payhip etc to sell lazy, low-effort products like e-books, .pdfs etc. They then promptly get banned from the platforms and then leavy a crybaby negative review saying they got scammed.

              This was a very recent move, so I haven't completed a payout yet through Polar, but I've been in contact with their support (had to verify my ID and the Stripe ID checker wasn't working on my old ass Australian ID card) - they replied within 48 hours both times and the communication was crystal clear.

              @dannytaurus said in Payment providers compared:

              • Whether Polar charge their 50¢ on a free ($0) download. None of them says. If you give away a lot of free products, ask first.

              I've had a few hundred free product downloads over the last week or so - no fees from what I can tell. There's not even a payment form for free products or 100% discount codes: free is free.

              The one sort of "downside" I guess is there's only checkout embeds, no cart / add-to-cart (you'd have to roll your own). And no Paypal from what I can tell, I'm not sure how big of a deal that is - Amazon doesn't use Paypal.

              If I do come across any negative experience I'll update this post, but so far Polar has been great all around. I've just requested my first payout (only $50) and their docs say they can take up to 2 weeks which isn't a big deal really. Larger payouts might take longer.

              dannytaurusD soundsyncS 2 Replies Last reply Reply Quote 2
              • dannytaurusD
                dannytaurus @iamlamprey
                last edited by

                @iamlamprey Excellent info - thanks for chiming in!

                I'll update the comparison with the facts you mentioned.

                I'm turning the whole thing into a webpage, which is easier to view and update than this forum post.

                HISE dev latest / herdr + Claude Code / Figma + Affinity
                Meat Beats: https://meatbeats.com
                Klippr Video: https://klippr.video

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                • A
                  AlienXY
                  last edited by

                  Thanks for putting this together, it's the most useful comparison I've seen.

                  Full disclosure first: I make one of the options in the category you left out, self-hosted stores. It's called Alien XY (alienxy.com). So treat this as one view, not a neutral one.

                  To your "web app or plugins?" question, there's a middle path: run a ready-made store on your own server with your own Stripe account. Then the only fees are Stripe's, so close to your "Stripe on its own" row (about 4.3% on your mixed basket), with no revenue share on top. Alien XY costs $199 or $499 one-time, or $39/month if you want it hosted for you. It comes with licence keys and activation, file delivery, coupons and affiliates already built.

                  The catch, and it's a big one for you: it isn't a merchant of record. You'd be the seller, so VAT and sales tax stay your job, same as plain Stripe. Since you've said MoR is a must, it probably doesn't fit your case. I'm mentioning it for people who are already registered for VAT, or who sell mostly in places where that's manageable, and would rather not hand over 7 to 15% for good.

                  Happy to answer questions here.

                  David HealeyD 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • David HealeyD
                    David Healey @AlienXY
                    last edited by

                    @AlienXY I'm very sus of popup AI generated sites. It might be totally legit but I'd need to be convinced.

                    Free HISE Bootcamp Full Course for beginners.
                    YouTube Channel - HISE tutorials
                    My Patreon - More HISE tutorials

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • soundsyncS
                      soundsync @iamlamprey
                      last edited by soundsync

                      @dannytaurus Thanks for putting this comparison together. I'm Aaron, the developer behind SoundSync. Your post highlighted some genuine gaps in our public documentation, so I've updated the site to make these details much easier to find and compare.

                      I've also attached a detailed 10-page reference covering the SoundSync entries in your comparison, newer features, and links to the relevant public pages:

                      Download the SoundSync information reference PDF

                      Pricing and what's included

                      SoundSync charges one 10% fee on SoundSync-managed sales, with ordinary payment processing included. There is no additional marketplace fee and no fixed per-sale SoundSync charge. For example, a $49 sale has a $4.90 SoundSync fee, leaving $44.10 for the developer before any agreed affiliate/collaborator shares. Tax is handled separately from product earnings.

                      The $10 monthly minimum is a minimum, not another subscription charge on top: SoundSync fees already incurred that month, including sales fees and usage charges, count toward it. If those total $7, the shortfall is $3; if they total $10 or more, there is no minimum top-up. Paid products, bundles, and subscriptions must be $9.99 or higher after discounts, before tax.

                      Transactional emails are included. Marketing email includes 1,000 sends per month, then $1 per started block of 1,000 additional sends. Qualifying free claims and external serial redemptions include 10,000 per month, then $0.005 per additional redemption. These allowances reset monthly without rollover. Normal licensing validation calls are not billed as external redemptions, and a free BOGO gift included in a paid checkout does not incur an external-redemption charge.

                      Pricing: https://www.soundsync.dev/pricing

                      Email counting and billing: https://www.soundsync.dev/docs/email-marketing/usage

                      Fees and redemptions: https://www.soundsync.dev/docs/fees

                      Payments, Merchant of Record, and the business behind it

                      PayPal is supported for one-time checkout, alongside Stripe payment options. Recurring subscriptions currently use Stripe. Products and checkout currently use USD only; this is not a claim of local-currency pricing. Any provider currency conversion is separate, and developers bear applicable conversion costs when receiving funds in another currency.

                      SoundSync Solutions is the Merchant of Record for SoundSync-managed checkout, including developer storefront and marketplace sales processed through that checkout. SoundSync handles the applicable sales-tax/VAT responsibilities for those sales. The tax page lists current country coverage and explains the scope; developer income taxes remain the developer's responsibility. An external reseller collecting its own payment is different: SoundSync does not absorb that reseller's processing fees or become its Merchant of Record merely by fulfilling a serial or entitlement.

                      SoundSync Solutions is based in Michigan, USA. The business address is 2632 Crossing Circle #1010, Traverse City, Michigan 49684, and support is support@soundsyncsolutions.biz. The site now has substantive Terms and Privacy information, rather than just headings, plus retention and account-closure details.

                      Payments: https://www.soundsync.dev/payments

                      Merchant of Record: https://www.soundsync.dev/trust/merchant-of-record

                      Tax scope and countries: https://www.soundsync.dev/trust/tax-compliance

                      Business information: https://www.soundsync.dev/about

                      Terms: https://www.soundsync.dev/legal/terms

                      Privacy: https://www.soundsync.dev/legal/privacy

                      Where funds are held, and when payouts happen

                      Funds collected through Stripe and PayPal are transferred manually to a dedicated business account used only for developer, affiliate, and collaborator payouts, not business expenses. Developer payouts are made through Stripe Connect. This is a dedicated payout account, not a claim of escrow or deposit insurance.

                      Payouts are scheduled twice monthly, on the 1st and 15th, after at least a 14-day hold. Eligible funds go into the next scheduled payout after that hold completes. There is no SoundSync payout minimum or routine reserve. The scheduled date means payment initiation, not a guaranteed bank-arrival date; unresolved disputes, account restrictions, or payout-destination issues can affect an individual balance.

                      Payout policy: https://www.soundsync.dev/trust/payouts

                      Refunds and disputes

                      Customers request refunds from the product developer within 14 days of the initial purchase. Authorized developers can refund the full order or selected whole products; arbitrary cash amounts and fractional refunds of one product are not supported. For subscriptions, the standard refund policy covers the initial payment, not renewals, with mandatory consumer rights still applying.

                      The customer receives the refunded product's paid amount and associated tax. SoundSync retains its original share, and the developer is responsible for actual additional refund charges and confirmed chargeback/dispute losses. This is separate from ordinary checkout processing already included in the 10% fee. Affiliate/collaborator shares reverse according to the original allocation. Access associated with the refunded purchase is withdrawn; unrelated purchases are not removed.

                      Refund and dispute policy: https://www.soundsync.dev/trust/refunds-disputes

                      HISE, JUCE, licensing, and delivery

                      There are now two HISE integration paths: HISEScript, for easier integration without modifying HISE source, and native HISE C++, which requires patching/rebuilding HISE and offers stronger native enforcement. The JUCE package is also available, with activation, processor-owned licensing, and Store/My Products integration. Package-specific requirements matter: HISEScript documents configurable offline grace following a valid state, while the current JUCE release requires online renewal at startup and does not provide offline audio access.

                      The public API reference includes serial claims and claim status, activation, customer-login activation, validation, and deactivation, with authentication and request/response details. File delivery uses authorized customer downloads, and the customer library brings together owned products, downloads, serials, device access, and support.

                      HISE docs: https://www.soundsync.dev/docs/hise

                      Native HISE setup: https://www.soundsync.dev/docs/hise/native-setup

                      JUCE docs: https://www.soundsync.dev/docs/juce-package

                      Licensing API: https://www.soundsync.dev/docs/api/licensing

                      File delivery: https://www.soundsync.dev/features/secure-delivery

                      Customer library: https://www.soundsync.dev/features/customer-library

                      Storefronts and branding

                      SoundSync supports hosted storefronts and a full embedded commerce experience, including catalog, product pages, cart, checkout, and customer access. Custom domains can use the main domain, not just a shop/store subdomain. Developers need domain control and DNS access; SoundSync provides guided setup and manages the hosted connection and SSL certificates once verified. Brand Manager covers logos, light/dark branding, colors, imagery, support details, and the supported brand settings reused across the storefront and other surfaces.

                      Storefronts: https://www.soundsync.dev/features/storefronts

                      Branding and domains: https://www.soundsync.dev/features/brand-manager-domains

                      Affiliates, collaborators, teams, and resellers

                      There are dedicated native affiliate and collaborator programs, not just reseller attribution under another name. Affiliates use agreed product/rate terms and referral links; collaborators use product revenue-sharing agreements. Their earnings and payouts are tracked separately. Team Accounts are a separate permissions system, so a revenue-sharing agreement does not automatically grant dashboard access. Approved resellers also have serial, external-order, fulfillment, and API integration paths, including WooCommerce.

                      Affiliates: https://www.soundsync.dev/features/affiliates

                      Collaborators: https://www.soundsync.dev/features/collaborators

                      Team Accounts: https://www.soundsync.dev/features/team-accounts

                      Resellers: https://www.soundsync.dev/features/partners

                      Partner API: https://www.soundsync.dev/docs/api/reseller-partner

                      Email, growth, subscriptions, and marketplace discovery

                      Marketing includes campaigns, audience management, scheduling, reports, and growth flows such as cart recovery, onboarding, review requests, follow-ups, and winback. Promotions include scheduled deals and supported codes/offers. Subscription documentation distinguishes recurring access from models where paid invoices earn product ownership.

                      Marketplace discovery is included in the same commercial model. Launch into an ecosystem backed by nearly 50,000 established audio-software customers.

                      Email marketing: https://www.soundsync.dev/features/email-marketing

                      Growth flows: https://www.soundsync.dev/docs/email-marketing/growth-flows

                      Subscriptions: https://www.soundsync.dev/features/subscription-bundles

                      Marketplace: https://www.soundsync.dev/features/marketplace

                      Two clear "no" answers for the comparison

                      We do not currently offer assisted Gumroad migration or pay-what-you-want pricing. Imports and external fulfillment should not be described as a Gumroad account-migration service.

                      Migration policy: https://www.soundsync.dev/docs/migrations

                      Product setup: https://www.soundsync.dev/docs/products

                      SoundSync is still a newer platform, and I understand that documentation is only part of evaluating one. My aim here is to make the commercial details and integration requirements public and easy to check, rather than leave you guessing. Thanks again for calling out what was missing.

                      Trust Center: https://www.soundsync.dev/trust

                      Documentation: https://www.soundsync.dev/docs

                      Best,

                      Aaron
                      https://soundsync.dev
                      https://moonwavefx.com

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                      • C
                        cartemtune
                        last edited by

                        Holy cow! Thank you for such a comprehensive comparison. I wanted to provide some additional info as well as a little bit of correction based on my own experience. I used to be on gumroad, migrated to payhip, and then subsequently reached out to payhip's support team after danny's post on another separate thread and I thought I'd share:

                        • Migration from other platforms: Payhip does offer help with moving product listings over from Gumroad. In my case, they used my Gumroad store URL to recreate the listings on Payhip for free. My understanding is that they copied the text and images from the public pages. You still need to upload the actual product files yourself so this isn’t a full account migration with customers & order data. They actually even offered to "fully furnish" my store too (for free), but I decided to do that myself

                        • Sales taxes: I am aware that Payhip automatically collects and remits sales tax/VAT for the US, Canada, UK and EU as a marketplace facilitator (not MOR). Outside those regions, you’d need to work out your obligations and handle any required collection and remittance yourself. You can configure custom tax rates in your payhip dashboard, but that doesn’t take care of registration or filing for you.
                          Is this set up accountant-proofed? Yes, but I’m in Canada so I can't speak for other countries. I’ve checked my own setup with my accountant, everything is a okay.
                          I’ve only opened my store to the US, Canada, UK and EU so far, so the payhip automatic tax handling coverage hasn’t been an issue for me yet. But Danny's point about 15% of sales coming from elsewhere definitely makes me curious about what I might be missing xD I would love some extra $$$$ and I'm looking to see if I can just open up a few extra countries with my current set up so I don't have to do a full migration elsewhere

                        • Marketplace facilitator vs MOR: If you're like me and your head is spinning with all these jargons, I also asked Payhip’s support team about the tradeoffs between their setup and an MoR. Obviously their answer would be biased, but here's what they said: An MOR handling refunds and disputes doesn’t necessarily mean the seller avoids all the costs. You'd still to check each provider’s refund fees, chargeback terms, payout schedule and reserve policy.
                          My personal finding on this is that: e.g. Gumroad has a $100 minimum payout balance. This is likely because they are an MoR and need to cover their sellers' refunds and chargebacks when they happen. I also noticed that Paddle also has a minimum payout of $100 and the payouts aren't instant either i.e. only on the 2nd and 15th of every month

                        • Lemon Squeezy: I agree. I think this company is being phased out. I have been following with them when I was first looking to move away from gumroad and their Twitter/X account is filled with only motivational quotes for YEARS now xD I don't see any notable new features at all since the acquisition. That's definitely not a good sign. I would AVOID!

                        You’ve got me curious about Polar and Moonbase now. Would be interested to hear how the actual checkout and customer experience compares once you’ve tried them. Please update 🙏

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                        • First post
                          Last post

                        8

                        Online

                        3.0k

                        Users

                        14.0k

                        Topics

                        121.7k

                        Posts