Bipolar LFO's

• This is needed to create a synth that adheres to conventional modulation.
    Should be default.
    Can "almost" be done in Scriptnode but not fully.

• BUMP! BUMP!

• I hear you guys, however the modulation system in HISE is so fundamental that I can't go around and change the behaviour of things without breaking every single project made with HISE and any addition I will do has to be with the minimum amount of overhead.

To be honest when I designed the modulation system, I tried to mimic the way KONTAKT is doing it's modulation as close as possible to make the transition more smooth (LOL), but I agree that while this modulation system works well for sample libraries, it's not as versatile as you need it to be for proper synth design.

I might have a solution that allows total flexibility and this is to just add a small SNEX snippet that processes the modulation signal as you need it to be that can be inserted to any modulator. In the end, every single modulator creates a signal between 0 and 1, and HISE tries to convert this range into a "sensible" range depending on the context with the intensity being applied correctly.

This code mimics the conventional HISE (gain) modulation way:

/*  the modSignal is a float array, the intensity the value from the slider.
    */
    void process(block modSignal, float intensity)
    {
        for(auto& sample: modSignal)
            sample = (1.0f - intensity) + intensity * sample;
    }

So in order to get a truly bipolar modulation for the LFO, all you need to do is to change this

sample = (1.0f - intensity) + intensity * sample;

to

sample =  1.0f + (sample - 0.5f) * intensity;

• @Christoph-Hart said in Bipolar LFO's:

his code mimics the conventional HISE (gain) modulation way:

Not entirely sure how to apply this , do I need to use a scriptnode modulator and use this as a SNEX/Jit or can I somehow place a SNEX snippet into the normal lfo ?

@Lunacy-Audio Do you understand how to use this ?
    @orange . thoughts ?

• @lalalandsynth Was going to ask you 😂

@Christoph-Hart Could you possibly upload a simple snippet? Would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

• @orange . thoughts ?

I haven't used that yet.

• It's not implemented yet, so a snippet would make no sense, but the idea is to be able to click on the modulation bar (maybe a context menu on the intensity slider) which opens a small popup where you can edit this code.

Users

Topics