Scriptnode cpu ?

• Is it normal for the Scriptnode to be so CPU hungry or is the Hise cpu meter inaccurate as it does not match the task manager one ?

Is it expected that one would export as cpp and incorporate like that or will it take less when exported as VST ?

I am working on an ensemble fx , and just the modulation(no delays) with no samplers or instruments loaded is about 3-4 % on my CPU on the HISE cpu meter and 0.7 in Task manager.

• it's been a while since i've exported anything with scriptnode but iirc it's much lower once it's a binary, my most complicated stuff was running at 7% in HISE and less than 1% in ableton

your milage may vary πŸ™‚

• I'm definitely finding plugins that make use of Scriptnode to be very CPU hungry, both within HISE and when exported as VST/AU.
    Especially when using the 'transient designer' and the 'delay_a' nodes.

Is there a special way to export/compile fx plugins that use Scriptnode for optimal performance, or are we doomed to eternal CPU hell? ☺

• Sorry I'm changing my answer lol lately my scriptnode trees are using up to 30% CPU in HISE and 8-10% in Ableton.

Exporting them to meta nodes doesn't seem to affect it.

• I know it's a shame that Scriptnode has a tendency to eat up CPU.
    The concept is great though!
    Please let me know if you come up with any work arounds.

• Just found this

@Christoph-Hart said in Trying to create a random pitch detune effect in HISE:

Also be aware that scriptnode patches which use frame-based processing are supposed to be compiled into a C++ module for production builds - if you compile it to C++ that particular patch shouldn't take more than 0.5% - even in the HISE CPU meter.

I'm not using frame-based, but how do we "compile to C++"? Does that just mean exporting the project to a binary? Or is this to do with meta nodes or something? πŸ˜•

Any scriptnode gurus out there? 😏 @ustk

• What are you doing that eats up 30% CPU? You can send me a screenshot of the full patch per PM if you want to keep your magic private πŸ™‚

Again: scriptnode is being heavily rewritten at the moment and there are a few occassions where the CPU usage was excessively high, which is now more optimised (IIRC a modulation connection caused an UI update per sample which was unnecessary). However using a scriptnode patch in the compiled plugin is not advised because there are limits what a interpreted DSP graph can achieve regarding performance.

In order to get a reasonable performance from scriptnode you need to create a C++ node from it - this is where the real magic of scriptnode comes in as it allows you to transform the DSP algorithm that you've designed within scriptnode into a fully optimisable C++ class. I did that for some of the effects in PercX and there is no difference regarding performance to the ones that I've handwritten in C++.

Unfortunately the code generator is broken in the current scriptnode branch (it did work before I started the rewrite, but now it's in a nimbus state until I get this overly massive rewrite done).

• Ah also that entire custom node location thing will be removed. You will just export all the scriptnode patches as a dedicated .dll that will be loaded by HISE for each project during development and when you export your final plugin it will be embedded into the code (so you donβ€˜t have to drag another dll around).

• @Christoph-Hart said in Scriptnode cpu ?:

it's in a nimbus state until I get this overly massive rewrite done).

And you receive an overly massive encouragement for the titan work this represents! πŸ‘
    Really happy to see all those commit notifications every day! πŸ™‚

The new node exporting system seems to be easier than the actual export, and I can't complain! 😎

• @Christoph-Hart said in Scriptnode cpu ?:

What are you doing that eats up 30% CPU? You can send me a screenshot of the full patch per PM if you want to keep your magic private πŸ™‚

Nothing too crazy, I'm okay with showing some snippets if it helps other people learn (although I'm probably doing it wrong since it's using so much CPU).

d9c05310-80dc-4138-beba-ad77d71c2cea-image.png

eb8f0710-b565-4936-ba37-c51b26df37df-image.png

These are 2 of 3 node trees for this one Exciter plugin, I've already read the threads about Transient Shaper node using a bit of CPU, but the other plugins (FET Compressor, Saturator, Basic EQ) all have around 9% in ableton. I can't run more than 2-3 copies of each before my audio hangs.

However using a scriptnode patch in the compiled plugin is not advised because there are limits what a interpreted DSP graph can achieve regarding performance.

In order to get a reasonable performance from scriptnode you need to create a C++ node from it

Unfortunately the code generator is broken in the current scriptnode branch (it did work before I started the rewrite, but now it's in a nimbus state until I get this overly massive rewrite done).

Damn that's tragic, thanks for explaining though πŸ™‚ Do you have a rough eta for us? I really do appreciate all the work you're doing.

• I'm stupid, I didn't expect the oversampling nodes to have that much impact, I'll have to lower them to 4x... πŸ€”

I wonder what the ideal middle-ground is for anti-aliasing and performance. I assume 16x will have diminishing returns for aliased frequencies.

• @Christoph-Hart Dear Christoph
    Could you point Me to a version of scrptnode that the export To Cpp Still Works?

@ustk And you said that it was workong Before you start to dosome changes.

Thank You

• @iamlamprey Mate, in what version you did export Nodes to Custom cpp?
    Do they increase the Cpu usage?

• @Natan I haven't done it, I exported them to meta nodes, which don't affect CPU and are also being deprecated.

• @iamlamprey In The Latest Version, I Succesfully Exported To Cpp Meta Node.
    They Work In Hise, But In Exported Plugin, They Get Muted, Or Do'nt DO Anything To The Input Signal, Kinda Bypassed Or Not Integrated 😞

• @Natan What kind of node setup are you using? I brought mine down by a significant amount by adding a button that disables oversampling nodes.

For simple stuff like compression/filters/dry-wet chains and saturation, you should be able to bring the CPU usage down to reasonable and competitive amounts, not sure about more modulation-based stuff though.

• @iamlamprey It's That Flanger, Yo Can Find It In The Forum

It Just Have A Oscillator, And 2 Delays, Nothing Crazy
    But It Makes Some Artifacts, Which Will Get Disapper With Only Using Oversampling,
    And It Causes CPU Spikes In Other hand

• @Natan I built a flanger (well I gave it a go) and posted here somewhere, it only uses 2x oversampling...maybe try it..I never exported it or compiled it so it might be a dud..in HISE on my system its using about 2% CPU

HiseSnippet 2002.3oc6b0sTaaDEVByBXCISZmjI4ROY5EjYR8HIafvzoSH7WJSAhGLIo2wrHs.6frjpzZ9oc5SSuuyzmh7Hza6iPeCZO6tRVqLFv3DL1TwM38r+nu867ydNFsTOz2lDE4GpoWb2yCHZ5yfZbtG6nUNBS8z1XUPN5.Wr2gjPskOO.GEQbzz0K7Vd25EGWS7y+75kwvfrIohzz9fO0lrIsIkkJs9R+H00ccrCYWZSkQWaoMr88Vw20uE.kBHCs.r8w3CIai4CaLjl9Dq4PY9gMXXFIRSe7k8cNuwQ9m5IG+GnQz8cI7FlZMfERJdceWGNh4R0V4HpqS8jsbjllNpdJATPR.OFsE0g1VdJQ7HQGkSmgJenO1UAOSU3YzyvSSAciKQG.BemVtXVVjwUGwcP88xfrM7XDuHJ6bU00cJb+JTcJy9nti2w5BdAE0sMdiU9O.s1AGPrYofcbz5+zsulVW+hbWITC6PZ.Cd9bfTBstzOzLCbjiQS+OPkKWdMuCodjJ1gD.aqFErMgcpe3wy973o97W7ckOnkmMmzKGDRBvgjc8q6hOe1Hby.WxNv7dY48c8sOtA8WHunzuVpXoeqj5jDvbY9Hl09HrmGwM5hCi6K6wB8cm0qUy8Igur7IX2Voq2EbmKb4rnp6bWTh632hQ8NbKLKjdF3QucqlMfnH1jUhQGHSeLM9TEsM3s41TMHdNhF+K7Sbml715wcZlzoFeyP7Xf7XFUnxh+L7IYbxXRl2iuC.8oVGaCawyqiYGws5gHbLvrhDVwts4khVE.dJjKfrz1D33NDZnwWZ03jq32rIGZ7Xjwe9iTG9CDgpZXDaqrCnc4Qb2havhrfscAfDCHgLJgSh7UUtmDHeRNzd.5.5YlyumvZPKyd4oJ6E0Ac6rE5Ar9Pj+IjPoMr0YYA6yT.alQcmg1IQQAtvwhWp8gr6AJ9JDayJ07mFhCDFollZWiU7vfYqJ3KgBI1D5IDqNQdnLRQk39uKQtHdOuEbJWAIk+FGmc8aPOzC6p8AdvRYru5s12kZGG8K8HycwgGRXhCwvgPNRLR7wHIsf.Ra3AV6L4gNFZaQ8ZurPK7YJOjM8OkDFmpFu22GDnzFB.yHA7yCfv1HiJFffiImJYW4.hCkQHN6C4skfe9fmqlTM0NnRpok0PkCvXJ1PShj11i.l9Sn.6o4Qr2yg.mmmE5OBfdHoRZu2kH+ZMhG6laDOAxz..vUYGGOjTSYDXcl0RtHHopgoQUMIatJmqDEpD+XPHqJKpf1aD9rpcs3CFRJ9DNdc2OKo9IkmklhcPwjPf4Q.uii.1oloDR3+sma0rplGfhXGWItugauSUBtTuQviCl1WICKFfpkuQW42IkdjpjamvMt.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.zp3wbAy0Wkat9EnjrZK1kRxpdutjrp22JIK8kI6daEYSIqHyLujragRx5mFueiUwLLemEeMjT3Cc8UImPsIRythfYXzwL+fLWssmH6bZzGwmPDWtSAVehn8A9gMK+VBTFEu1DyK8Nd9os+yd8NdFzy2wy2Yy.HraH1KJvOhXptxczmkZeqRXs7xNbonLihu8VG1dJi6QKkHTcjKUG6kYwf1YVos3Wrrjl+8qktzMHvtw4co00ob8Jq2xMhHLtMUmXpXKUw+.NzAzK1YtviE54aY3M35tNQ90c85tsgFW4sMLy8zrXBFaP42nr0fXMtfmo.ieM3Jd.tkKKQZVWqs787CNx2ilQouCgEROTbEBSwdW2Pugw3u4Rsk73k1g.gliTb29lk1j5AQq2RlxQ+vEl8NWbU5qmgjvsLOdP46GWS4B+u7ZJ26dnPHyQGM8SQPXbqxB0c46d88f3FMOHdFMw1g96YKuH37.FSIj.6aOw+UGJh1h2tro1Ioe0bFZMgic1y1NoXztOGq9XNU6i4TqOlyb8wbluOlyB8wbd0UNG9I9uoEyuoz9GDTeMQxm55sqiQuf1+Ax+JVoB

• @Natan Could you try this again? Or did this not work out?

459943c4-7b9f-4743-a1d0-5f8171e7e9d3-image.png

• @iamlamprey It Has Its Own CPU Usage Story, It Removes The Artifacts,
    And Another Wierd Issue With This, It'll Add Around +5 dB πŸ˜• To The FX Plugins Output.

Users

Topics