What format do you use to distribute plugins+samples?

• I am curious as to what approaches people here use to provide plugins along with the sample libraries to customers.

Do you provide a single installer with the samples included, thus making one large file, or do you split them into separate downloads (a smaller one for the plugin and a large one for the samples)?

I guess that for a user, a single installer would be easiest since everything is in one place. But, since Apple requires you to upload your end product to their server for notarization, that will mean uploading some very large files.

What approach have you taken?

• I have my sample library as a separate zip file here.

• @dustbro So, users download 2 files and manually extract the samples to whatever location they want?

• I provide installers as individual downloads (one per operating system) and the samples as .hr archives (as exported from HISE). The archives are split into 1GB so the number of archives depends on the number/size of the samples in the library. Sofia Woodwinds for example has about 10 parts to download.

• @d-healey said in What format do you use to distribute plugins+samples?:

I provide installers as individual downloads (one per operating system) and the samples as .hr archives (as exported from HISE). The archives are split into 1GB so the number of archives depends on the number/size of the samples in the library. Sofia Woodwinds for example has about 10 parts to download.

Yep after a lot of trial and error (mostly from the poor people using MacOS) Dave's approach above has shown to be the best, with some conditions:

1. zip your Mac Installer ON THE MAC
    2. zip your Windows installer ON YOUR WINDOWS MACHINE
    • the second of these may not be required but better safe than sorry - essentially the Mac turns out to be rubbish(very very picky) at unzipping anything

• @gorangrooves said in What format do you use to distribute plugins+samples?:

@dustbro So, users download 2 files and manually extract the samples to whatever location they want?

Exactly.

• @Lindon I don't bother zipping the installers:

4f3c7169-738e-4956-a7f7-590d5ca39b71-image.png

Users

Topics