Mac Installation Paths / User Or System?
As The Titles Says, There Are Two Different Paths In Mac To Install Au/VST Plugins.
One Is Here Which Called User:
- Macintosh HD:/Users/[Your Username]/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/ (AU)
- Macintosh HD:/Users/[Your Username]/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/ (VST 2)
- Macintosh HD:/Users/[Your Username]/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3/ (VST 3)
And One Is Here Which Called System:
- Macintosh HD:/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/ (AU .component file extension)
- Macintosh HD:/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/ (VST 2 .vst file extension)
- Macintosh HD:/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3/ (VST 3 .vst3 file extension)
Which One You Prefer, Why And What Is The Differences?
@Natanr The user directory is rarely used. By default, Mac uses the system directory.
DAWs don't necessarily scan the user directory, but again the system directory is used by default anyway, so why bother using the user's one...
Why there are two directories? I don't know...