Serial number

• Does this serial number Q83X-AT20-040F-8MJ5 prohibit reuse? Is there a way to make the registered serial number Q83X-AT20-040F-8MJ5 not allowed to be used again.

微信截图_20210107102624.png

• @GUJIAN In order to do this, you need to take machine ID and assign / store it with the serial number.
    So with this way, the plugin won't work if the machine ID is different with the assigned serial key.

Otherwise, using only serial key is very vulnerable. Last week iLok licenses (one of the most reliable license security system in the world) has been taken by crackers. Only serials, is so easy.

On the other hand I think it is very interesting that in some reason, cracking is not that bad if you are a new company 🙂 But it is just my opinion. Because it builds ton's of reputation and PR stuff in the world about your brand. If a customer wants to get the plugin legally he will buy, even there are the cracked versions on the internet. If he don't want to buy, he would get the cracked version even if your plugin is $5. 😄

• @orange Exactly 👏 +1 On Your Words Man, Totally Agree With You.
    It Is A Free Promotion, And Also Raise The Views Of Your Videos On Youtube.
    You Get Free Views On Google, And This Makes Your Website A Better Ranking.
    And As You Said Peeps Who Go For Craked Versions Never Spend A Cent On Softwares.

• @orange said in Serial number:

@GUJIAN In order to do this, you need to take machine ID and assign / store it with the serial number.
    So with this way, the plugin won't work if the machine ID is different with the assigned serial key.

Otherwise, using only serial key is very vulnerable. Last week iLok licenses (one of the most reliable license security system in the world) has been taken by crackers. Only serials, is so easy.

On the other hand I think it is very interesting that in some reason, cracking is not that bad if you are a new company 🙂 But it is just my opinion. Because it builds ton's of reputation and PR stuff in the world about your brand. If a customer wants to get the plugin legally he will buy, even there are the cracked versions on the internet. If he don't want to buy, he would get the cracked version even if your plugin is $5. 😄

Can anybody add more detail on how to incoperate a users Machine ID into a serial number check. I assume that a file stored on a server would need to be updated somehow but I'm a beginner when it comes to api calls and servers etc.

The 'Simple copy protection done right' guide is neat and does what it says on the tin, I just think it would be ace if somebody could put together a similar guide tagging on Machine Id checks.

Really looking for the simplest version of a Serial & Machine ID check nothing too complicated per se.

• I guess I'm just trying to find the simplest way to stop the same Serial No from being across multiple machines. Nothing too heavy handed if possible ☺

• @LeeC - why would you want to? Just curious. I've found a license that allows the user to use as many copies as they like on any machine they own is fine.

• @Lindon it's such an interesting topic and has been covered a few times as you know.
    My typical stance is that designs should be tailored towards the good users and that we should try and avoid anything that would reduce the user experience too much.

To answer your question, I'm trying to find the best/simplest solution to prevent a user with bad intent from giving away their serial number for free on the internet. Or a simple way to deactivate this serial if it is found to be rogue.

I don't think this is currently possible with the 'Simple copy protection done right' method as the serials are embeded within the plugin.

So I'm curious what the smartest way is to implement this without going overboard.

• @LeeC

Uh... not this good/bad user thing again.

A "good" user won't share your library so no need to restrict them.

A "bad" user will reshare your library, even if you apply some kind of restriction (with a few exceptions). So no need to restrict them either.

• @d-healey 😆
    That's my typical stance and I agree with everything you said apart from "So no need to restrict them either".

Really don't want to reopen the many debates that have been had on this topic (both within and outside HISE), I'm just looking for the simplest solution.

Has anybody successfully implemented a Serial / Machine ID solution using HISE that they can share?

• @LeeC said in Serial number:

I'm just looking for the simplest solution.

No you're not 😛

Has anybody successfully implemented a Serial / Machine ID solution using HISE that they can share?

I don't think many people have tried this combo yet.

• @d-healey I am honest! ☺

• @d-healey said in Serial number:

I don't think many people have tried this combo yet.

Cool, well I was also thinking about forgetting about the Machine ID all together and just hosting the serials outside of the plugin on a server somewhere.
    This way, any rogue serials found to be floating around the net could be removed manually from the externally hosted JSON.
    But then there's the problem of having a publically available file with all the serials visible, so encryption/decryption would be neccessary 🤒

Haha, I think I've just talked myself back to 'Simple copy protection done right'.

Still, if anybody has a simple method please chime in.

• @LeeC The people who for years have illegally download my music are people who will never pay for it in the first place. So I'm not gonna get stressed over it. I'm about to launch my first VST. I'm not gonna get stressed about that either.

😄

Users

Topics